Tuesday, June 28, 2011

THE WHEEL OF DHARMA


I started this blog five years ago because I was doing this class project for a painting class called "Pintura en  Representación" (I'm a graphic design major but I slipped in a few fine arts classes in college). Anyways, my project for that class was a series called ASHTAMANGALA or The Eight Auspicious Signs. My aesthetic has changed quite a bit in the past five years, but it's always great to look back on what you've done in the past, even though it can be kind of embarrassing and make you cringe. 
So, one of the most important symbols of the Eight Auspicious signs is the Dharma Wheel or Dharmacakra , which is what I based the illustration you see above on. This symbol can also be interpreted as "The Wheel of Law" and represents the Buddha's teaching of the path to enlightenment. 

Here is a list of the Eight Auspicious Signs: 

"The Right Turning Conch"
"Endless Knot"
"Pair of Golden Fish"
"Lotus Flower"
"Parasol"
"Treasure Vase"
"Wheel of Dharma"
"Victory Banner"

I've also recently done my take on the endless knot and Lotus Flower for my mandala series, you can see here

*Note* I know this is nerdy but one other thing I love about the Dharma Wheel is it's association with the TV show LOST. Yes, I was a total Lostie, and I miss it oh so much!

No comments: